El Paso Vein Specialists
Do You Experience...
What is Venous Reflux?
Trusted by Patients Across El Paso
Why El Paso Vein Doc?
Why You Shouldn't Leave Your Varicose Veins Untreated
- Stubborn pain- Since varicose veins cause reflux or pooling of blood on the veins, poor blood flow becomes the ultimate cause of cramping and aches. Oxygen transmitted by the blood can no longer reach proper areas, which leads to muscle cramping and aches near the veins.
- Infections- Venous disease can bring leg ulcers, which may cause lesions on the skin. When an ulcer is exposed to bacteria, conditions may cause even more discomfort.
- Bleeding- Varicose veins are closest to the skin. They often become embossed on your skin when inflamed, leaving them more susceptible to wounds.
- Swelling- Since blood flow is restricted, blood isn’t pumping properly through your legs. This can cause reflux, which leads your legs to swell.
- Blood Clots- A clot usually forms since blood becomes pooled on your legs. The clots can detach and enter the bloodstream and cause life-threatening conditions such as deep vein thrombosis.
About El Paso Vein Doc
Identify, Treat, Eliminate
El Paso Vein Doc was founded with the mission to help individuals eliminate pain and embarrassment in their legs.
Our primary physician, Dr. Gethin Williams, MD, PhD is triple Board Certified in Interventional and Diagnostic Radiology, and in Nuclear Medicine. He has been serving the El Paso, Texas, metropolitan region for the past ten years and is a leader in the field of vascular and interventional radiology, nuclear medicine, and diagnostic radiology.
Dr. Williams completed an internal medicine internship at Kaiser Permanente in San Francisco, followed by a residency with Harvard’s Joint Program in Nuclear Medicine and a radiology residency at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
He also completed a dedicated Vascular and Interventional Radiology fellowship at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center/Harvard Medical School. He is one of the most experienced physicians in Texas that treats venous disease.
Visit Our Convenient El Paso Location
1601 Murchison Drive, El Paso, TX 79902
In your leg, you have two sets of veins. They are called deep veins and superficial veins.
Deep veins are in the deeper part of the leg where the muscles are, and superficial veins are right under the skin.
In a normal person, the blood would circulate from the feet towards the heart in both sets of veins.
When someone has a venous insufficiency the blood will actually go up the deep veins and then go backwards into the superficial vein.
The blood will start pooling in the superficial veins.
Since the superficial veins are closest to the skin, they will start to bulge and create varicose veins. They are often bluish or purple in color.
Spider Veins are essentially a smaller version of varicose veins. They are red, purple, and blue vessels that are also twisted and turning. They are most often seen on the legs, chest, or face.
No. Varicose veins can occur deeper in the leg, where one can’t see them. Varicose veins are classified under the spectrum of venous insufficiency disease.
Venous insufficiency disease causes leg discomfort, swelling of the ankles and leg, itching, and weariness. Other signs and symptoms may be prickling, cramping, aching, and heaviness of the lower limbs after prolonged standing.
Keep an eye out for these symptoms besides simply visible veins.
Progression of varicose veins can be dangerous as they may later become venous ulcerations. When left without treatment, complications may ensure including rashes, infections, bleeding, sores, and blood clots.
In rare cases, varicose veins can cause deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism which is life-threatening.
1) Consult – We first start you with a consultation where you will be listened to and encounter a friendly staff that will make sure you get the best care. That care will come from Dr. Williams and his expertly trained team, and will include a provider and an ultrasonographer on the first visit.
2) Ultra Sound – After the consult, we move on to the assessment where we provide you an accurate diagnosis. You will get the same day ultrasound and results on site while you see the provider. This will get you back to life as swiftly as possible.
3) Treatment Plan – After we conclude our assessment, we will provide you with a treatment plan.
There are many different options such as Endovenous Laser Therapy (EVLT), sclerotherapy, pneumatic compression, and more. We will ensure that you get the perfect customized treatment based on your needs and outcome goals.
Learn more by visiting “Our Process” page or by clicking here.
Areas We Serve:
Castner Heights | Mountain View | Park Foothills | Silver Springs Village | Via Hermosa | Cielo Vista | Mesa Hills | East Side | Northeast | Central